Make Dental Health a Priority
Dental home care is a combination of techniques that will help you maintain the health of your pet’s teeth. This may include brushing their teeth, to feeding a dental diet, giving dental chews and treats or even using water additives and rinses. Having a dental home care plan does not have to be time consuming or difficult. It should be something that is easy to fit into your lifestyle and commit to.
Why starting a dental home care plan is important
- It is not only good for the mouth, but good for all the major organs. By performing dental home care we can help prevent heart disease, kidney disease and other life threatening conditions.
- It helps in the prevention of tartar and plaque, and therefore bad breath.
- It is useful in the prevention of additional dental surgeries in order to correct disease.
Starting a Dental Home Care Plan
- If your pet already has oral disease, talk to your veterinary team about a dental procedure to get your pet’s oral health back to a good starting point.
- To best delay and prevent further dental disease choose a technique that works well for your family such as: brushing your pet’s teeth, using oral rinses/water additives, adding a dental diet such as Hill’s Prescription T/D to their lifestyle.
Using VOHC Certified Products
For more information and a list of approved products please visit their website.
This article was written by Sherry Anne Noseworthy, Registered Veterinary Technician, of Fifth Avenue Veterinary Clinic. We provide team-based vet care for pets and their families from our animal hospital in Orangeville, Ontario. POSTED: 2016-12-08